So, for a blogger SEO is the most common word today. And the toughest word too, when its come to properly implementing SEO on your blog or website. But if you are a WordPress user, here is a good news for you. There is one plugin exists which can extremely help you to properly implement On-page SEO on your website. Yoast SEO.
Most of the WordPress based bloggers and webmasters are using Yoast SEO today just because of its simplicity. I too use its premium version to optimize my all blog posts and pages.
Its green and red light signals guide you for better optimization of your posts and pages.
It’s not only helpful for On-page SEO but also improve your On-site SEO. If you are familiar with SEO terms you probably aware of the importance of On-page and On-site SEO.
though for your convenience I attached short descriptions of On-Page and On-Site SEO.
What is On-Page SEO
When we optimize a page or blog post for search engine visibility and rankings it is called On-Page SEO. There are many parts of On-Page SEO.
- Meta Title
- Slug(web address) of your page
- Meta description
- Keyword Selection
- Page Title H1 tag
- H2 to H5 tags
- Image Alt tags etc
To properly optimize your page you have to optimize these sections for our main keywords. As well as we should use LSI keywords. But beware don’t over-optimize your pages and blog posts because it decreases the readability of your page and Googles Rank Brain algorithm can analyze this fault.
Yoast SEO’s On-Page SEO guide helps us to properly optimize our pages and also detects the over-optimization.
What is On-Site SEO
On-Site SEO is very important as you have to make your website search engine friendly else you can’t be ranked. Like On-page SEO, We can also implement our On-site SEO with Yoast SEO plugin. The parts of On-Page SEO can are given below.
- Htaccess file
- Site logo Alt Tag
- Website Navigation etc.
Generating and submission of Sitemap, tweaking Robots.txt and htaccess file, using alt tag on website logo, proper navigation these all are important steps to optimize your On-Site SEO.
Yoast SEO can also help you a lot on them. You can use Yoast SEO for generating and submit your sitemap, and tweaking your Robots.txt and htaccess files etc.
Now, when you know the concepts of On-Page and On-Site SEO it’s time to implement those on your website with Yoast SEO.
Yoast SEO Setup Guide
Install Yoast SEO
Installing Yoast SEO on your WordPress website is same as you install any other plugin. I have already described in one of my previous blog posts that how to install WordPress plugins. This guide will help you to install free Yoast SEO from WordPress plugin directory.
When you successfully installed that on your WordPress website, you will be redirected to the plugin dashboard like this.
Yoast On-Page SEO Setting
Now, I will describe to you how to optimize your page or blog post with this plugin. Let’s have a look.
After installing Yoast SEO when you open page or post editor of any page from your WordPress dashboard you will get some extra options to optimize your page which is actually Yoast On-page SEO feature. With this feature, you can directly optimize your pages and posts on the editing window. See the image below.
See the green and yellow signals. These signal will help you to properly optimize your page. Yoast SEO not only optimizes your SEO but also optimize your post’s readability.
You can see 2 tabs in the image – Readability, and Keyword.
In Keyword tab, you can write meta title, description and slug etc for your page. As well as you can watch your SEO score along with the errors to fix for proper SEO.
- By default, Keywords tab is opened below your post but if not, you can open it by clicking on it.
- After that, you should click on the Edit Snippet button to edit meta tags, descriptions etc.
- Now you have an expanded tab where you can edit all of these values. 1st of all write a compelling high CTR SEO title containing your main focus keyword.
- Now edit the slug. Slug should be short and contain the focus keyword.
- A meta description is very important for On-Page SEO. So you should write a good meta description and it should contain also your main keyword.
Now see the below options.
- For analysis, you have to put your main keyword here.
- When you properly Analysis your content and Meta you will see all the 12 analysis signals turns green but when one of them not properly optimized you will see a red or yellow signal. This list will guide you to properly optimize your blog post or page.
The readability tab is used to improve your content readability. You will better understand with this image.
- Click on readability tab to extend that option.
- You will get some options which will guide you in optimizing your content readability. See the image above where Yoast says I need some improvement by shortening some sentences. It is is a great tool to optimize my content for the reader.
Now I will describe some other settings for Yoast SEO which will improve your On-Site SEO.
When you install Yoast SEO on WordPress, a new option appears on WordPress dashboard – SEO. When you click on SEO option you will be redirected to Yoast SEO’s general settings page.
Here you will find three options.
- Webmasters Tools
The dashboard shows any SEO related errors detected on your site. You can also configure Yoast SEO if you have installed it 1st time on your website.
Here you can also get notifications from Yoast SEO plugin.
In the feature tab, you can enable or disable some functions of Yoast SEO.
3# Webmasters Tools
In Webmasters tools tab you can connect your websites with Google webmaster tools along with Baidu, Bing, and Yandex. You have to enter the verification code provided by your search engine’s webmaster tools. See the image below.
Search experience menu has multiple options.
Let’s have a look at these options.
In the general tab, you can view three options
- This is title separator which will appear on your meta title.
- Here you can set up the title and description of the front page.
- In knowledge graph where you can setup Company name and logo.
2# Content types
In content type tab you can change the search engine visibility of your website contents like posts, snippet preview, SEO meta box, pages etc.
Media tab enables and disables attachment URL of your web pages.
Taxonomies tab is very important because it will change the appearance of “Yoast Meta Box” on your page and post editor which I have already described above.
We can enable and disable the Author and date archives on this tab.
This tab is for enabling and disabling breadcrumbs in your website. Though, to use this feature your theme should support breadcrumbs. Breadcrumbs are a very useful tool both for your readers and search engines ranking because it makes the navigation of your website easy.
In old-school blogging, RSS feeds were very important. Today the importance of RSS decreased but even it is important. You can set up RSS feed settings on the RSS tab.
Search console shows the errors on your website while Google search engine crawls your page for indexing. If you have properly connected your website with Google search console, you will get the error report on this page.
- This page has 4 tabs – Desktop, Smartphone, Feature Phone, Settings. 1st three tabs detect and show device based on crawl errors. The last setting tab will allow you to authenticate Google search engine with your website.
- Here you can see the details of the errors.
- You can import and export the setting for your other blogs.
- File editor is another useful tool where you can edit Robots.txt and htaccess file.
- Bulk-editor helps you to edit your all posts and pages in one place. You can edit Meta titles and descriptions of all posts and pages in this tool.
- Text link editor shows you if your links are properly working or not in your website
Yoast SEO Sitemap
A sitemap is the very important page of your website. You have to submit your sitemap to the search console for proper indexing of your website. Yoast SEO automatically generates your sitemap. You can view your sitemap by going this way.
Yoast SEO>General>Features Tab
Click on the question mark and it will extend to show you the navigation to your sitemap like this.
We can view our sitemap by clicking on “See the XML sitemap” showing in the image.
AMP or accelerated mobile pages is now must for all the website. Google makes it compulsory for mobile views. This is an extra menu which appears when you install a plugin called “Accelerated mobile pages”.
You can enable or disable various functions in this option. You can upload also a special logo for your mobile website. Design and other useful features are available to make your mobile appearance better.
In one Word – Signals. Green and red signals are very user-friendly and make your SEO work very easy. It will decrease your workload and increase your productivity.
I use Yoast SEO plugin because of its simplicity. It’s simple and at the same time, it’s powerful.
Free Vs Yoast SEO Premium
- You can target up to 5 keywords in the premium version.
- There are 3 previews available on Yoast premium Google, Facebook and Twitter previews.
- Yoast team manually analysis readability and Flesch reading ease score.
- You can have full control of your breadcrumbs with premium Yoast SEO.
- In the premium version of you will analysis the duplicate content which is a very important ranking factor.
Yoast SEO has 5+ million downloads on WordPress plugin directory. You can easily imagine the popularity of this plugin. I am using it and satisfied with its SEO optimization capabilities.
At the last, I can tell you that you won’t disappointed by this plugin and also love its green signals. 🙂
If you like this article share this to your social circle as sharing encourages me to write more useful articles. If you have any questions regarding Yoast SEO comment below.
You might also like