In this guide, we will learn how to disable WordPress comments in blogs but before we should know, why we need it?
When your blog becomes popular you will start to receive tons of comments. Though comments are the best way to build a community around your blog as well as helps a little in SEO.
But sometimes, especially if you have many affiliate websites, you don’t have much time to moderate comments on all of them. Actually, disabling comments on small affiliate websites don’t harm your SEO. On the other hand, disabling comments make your affiliate blog more passive.
The other reason disabling comments on your blog is a big percentage comment which you receive on your blog self-promotional, spammy and hurtful. If you are working in a niche where you often receive spammy and self-promoting comments, it’s better to disable comments on that blog.
However, you can edit the comments and make them more reader-friendly. It helps in SEO if they are not coming from unreputable servers.
Do your blog really need to disable comments?
There are 3 types of blogs on the internet.
- Big blogs – News blogs, big tech blogs, travelling review sites, etc
- Medium size blogs – tutorial and how-to blogs, well-established authority blogs etc
- Small blogs – All micro niche sites including affiliate sites, review sites, passive sites.
So, which category your blogs belong to?
If it’s in big blog category then you have to transfer your website’s comments to social pages and profiles as social media take care of all the spammy and hurtful comments with their auto moderation feature.
Most of the blogs belong to the medium size category. If your blog belongs to this category then you need to grow your community around your blog. So disabling blog commenting on those blogs are not a good decision. In fact, you can use comment editing feature to rewrite the comment on your own need and use them for SEO.
If you are an affiliate marketer and have a number of micro niche affiliate websites, I don’t recommend you to enable comments on them. Moderating comments on many websites kill your important time which you could use to do some productive works.
Pros and Cons to disable WordPress comments
There are some Pros and Cons to disable WordPress comments on your blogs.
- Comments slow down the page loading time because each comment requires separate database request. Disabling WordPress comments improve the page loading time which is an important factor after the Google Penguin algorithm update.
- Disabling comments on your blog makes your blog spam free and clean. (it actually depends on you. You can also use spammy comments for SEO by editing them as I have mentioned above)
- If your site receives a lot of comments then moderating them needs a lot of time. You can use this time to do some productive works for your blog.
- Who else don’t want passive income? Disabling comments on your blog makes it more passive.
- If you disable the comments on your blog, then you will miss the opportunity to build the community around your blog.
- Disabling WordPress comments impact a little on On-page SEO.
- You will miss out on the opportunity to interact with your genuine followers. This will negatively affect your online business if you are running an authority blog.
- Comments are helpful to create your blog more user-friendly. You receive genuine questions and suggestions related to your topic which will guide you to improve your article and ultimately grow your blog. That is the reason why most authority blogs don’t disable their comment section.
Alternative user interaction methods of Blog commenting
Above you have read all the pros and cons of disabling blog comments. In this section, I have some 2 alternatives which you can use in place of blog commenting.
Every big and small authority website has social media profiles and pages. I think you also have social media accounts related to your blog. You can use those accounts in place of blog comments. There are some major benefits of using social media platforms for user interaction.
- Social media platforms have self-moderating features which automatically checks spammy and abusing comments and keep them away. This will save a lot of time.
- The reach of social media is very vast so using them can make your blog more popular.
Building a forum is the second good alternative to blog comments. When you create a forum under your blog domain, actually it opens the door to great SEO benefits as well as expands your userbase. Here are some benefits to create a forum under your blog domain.
- Active forum under your domain is a goldmine of related content. Forum members always post their opinions, questions, answers and many more thing related to your blog topic. It will dramatically increase your blog SERP.
- Sometimes you are busy and don’t have time to reply to your blog comments. For your blog users, forums are the best alternative to blog comments. They could find their solution in your blog’s forum and also participate in the conversation with other users. You don’t have to do a lot. Forums are self-promoting as most of the data on forums are user-generated.
How to Disable WordPress comments on all posts?
You can disable the comment section from all future posts from WordPress dashboard’s setting tab. By default, comments are enabled in every WordPress blog post. You have to change some setting in the setting tab to disable the comment section.
You can also modify the comment moderation procedure with this setting. See, how to do this.
- Go to Settings > Discussion on your WordPress dashboard to modify the settings.
- Uncheck Allow people to post comments on new articles and press the save button below.
You can also change some other comment settings like Comment author must fill the name and email, whether an unregistered user can comment or not etc. There are many comment settings you can play with them.
After applying Allow people to post comments on new articles, comments on new posts will automatically disabled after publishing.
Disable WordPress comments on Past posts?
The above setting will disable comments on your future posts but If you want to disable comments on your past posts then you have to do this one by one on post’s quick edit setting. See how to do that?
- Go to posts > All posts in the WordPress dashboard.
- Click on the quick edit option just below the posts.
- When you press the quick edit option it will expand like the image shown below.
- Now simply uncheck the allow comments option and press the update button. This will update your posts with comment section disabled.
Bulk Disable WordPress comments on Past/Individual posts?
Disabling comments one by one for the posts takes time so you can use the WordPress bulk edit function to disable comments on all past posts with just one click. Se how to do this.
- Check all the posts by clicking on the title checkbox at the very beginning of the post list. (You can also select posts by checking them individually.
- Select Edit by clicking on the bulk actions drop-down menu.
- Click on the apply button.
- Applying the Edit on bulk actions will expand new options.
- Click on the comments dropdown menu and select Do Not Allow option. Then press the update button
- This will disable comments from all the published posts.
Delete previous comments on your published posts
The above action will disable future comments on your published posts but if your posts received any comments previously, those will show on the posts. So you have to delete all previous comments from the comments section in the WordPress dashboard.
- To do that go to Dashboard > Comments.
- Select all the comments by checking the author checkbox.
- Click on Bulk Actions drop-down menu and select Move to Trash.
- Clicking on the apply button will move all your previous comments into the trash.
Disable WordPress Comments in Editor
- Open the editor of the post in which you want to disable the comments. To do this you have to click on Edit option under the post.
- The post editor will open.
- Here click on the screen options just upper right corner of the window.
- This will expand the screen options menu in front of you. See the image.
- Click on the Discussion checkbox.
- Now scroll the page down. You will find a Comment section like this.
- Uncheck Allow Comments radio button and update the post.
Disable Comment on Media Files
If you don’t know I would like to tell you that applying above all settings will not totally disable you WordPress comments. You may continue to receive comments on media files. To stop comments totally you have to disable it on your media files too. See how to do this.
There are two methods to disable comments on media files.
Individual Method (time-consuming)
- To disable comments on media files you have to go to Media option in WordPress dashboard.
- You have to open the editor by clicking on Edit under attachments.
Now follow all the steps as “Disable WordPress Comments in Editor” Section.
Bulk Disable comment on WordPress Media Files
Due to the huge number of media files, disabling comments individually is not possible. If you are a tech guy then you can customise edit your theme files to override the default media settings.
Here is the process.
- Go to Appearance > Editor.
- Find functions.php on the right side and click on it.
- Paste the following code on it and update the file.
, 10 , 2 );
Disable Comments WordPress Plugins
If you don’t want to go through all the above processes, there are many free WordPress plugins which can do it for you.
The one I would recommend you is,
This plugin has a capability to disable comments from your entire website or even on WordPress multisite.
here are the features, Disable Comments plugin provide.
- Hide All Comments link from Admin bar and admin menu.
- If you have any comment related widget, this will also disable that and it gets invisible from your widget section.
- Hides discussion setting option from WordPress dashboard.
- all RSS/Atom feeds are disabled.
- Disable Outgoing pingbacks.
- It will disable all comment related sections.
- Disable comments from Media files.
Note: You must delete all previous comments before enabling the plugin.
You can also try other comment moderation plugins to modify the commenting feature.
Well, I have tried to cover all the aspects of disabling comments on your website as well as the processes which you can apply to disable or control comments.
I think this article may help you to find the answer that “if you should disable comments on your website or not”.
By the way, my website’s comment section is open for your queries and suggestions. Do comment below. Share this article on your social circle as sharing keep me motivated in creating helpful articles.